Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Review:Water for Elephants


Title: Water for Elephants
Author: Sara Gruen
Pages: 331
Genre: Fiction
Rating: 5/5


Jacob Jankowski is in his ninties as he is recalling the events of his life surrounding him joining The Benzini Brother Most Spectacular Show on Earth.  After a life changing tragedy, Jacob finds himself in the world of the circus as a veteranarian. The story follows him through this journey of heartache, love, passion and hatred.

I loved this book. When I started reading it, I had no idea what the book was really all about, and didn't know what to expect. Obviously there was an elephant in the mix somehow, but that is basically all I knew. Some people loved the book and others were on the other end of the spectrum. When that happens I always take caution when reading, but I am so glad I finally gave this a go.

I finished the book in two days essentially. I am a terribly slow reader so that says a lot. I found the story to be captivating and very smooth moving even though it moved back and forth from past to present. I also loved the characters. It was very easy for me to "get lost in the book" so to speak.    

Do you ever feel like you have to justify why you love a book so much when others just thought it to be just okay?

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the movie coming out. I just love Reese Witherspoon, and I can tolerate Robert Pattinson. Although I would have prefered Jude Law, but really, who wouldn't prefer Jude Law? So here he is totally unrelated to Water for Elephants. And you can thank me in the comments.



4 comments:

Rae said...

This has been on my to read list for years now. Now that it's a movie I think I'll read it after I finish EL&IC.
And I'm totally with you on Edward, I mean Robert, vs Jude.

Elise said...

100% Jude over Robert. 100%.

And I have to say that I am one of the ones on the opposite end of the spectrum. I just could not get into this book. I started reading it a few years ago & gave it a couple chances, but I found it painfully boring. Ha! But I think I am in the minority, because I know most people have nothing but good to say about it.

Trish said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Elise, I felt kind of "eh" about this book but I don't remember now why. I am looking forward to the movie, though! But you're right--would have been better with Jude Law. Goodness gracious...feel a pregnancy hot flash coming on...

I feel like I have to really justify why I *don't* like a book that everyone loves.

Care said...

Yes, I expect the movie won't disappoint. Jude Law still looks a bit like an alien being, to me. I think it's the light eyes. What movie was that anyway? Plus his creepy photographer in Perdition creeps me out, too.