Thursday, March 3, 2011

Recipe: Creamy Taquitos


Chicken Taquitos



It is so easy to overeat these suckers. Simply put, they are delicious. There are a few steps to get these right, but so worth it. I promise you, these will become a favorite. The best part, make a ton of these and freeze what you don't eat. Then you have an already prepared meal for when you don't feel like cooking.

I got this recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I did adapt just a little. And since we eat Mexican food like 7 days a week, the crock pot shredded chicken recipe is what I will be using from here on out.

Crock Pot Shredded Chicken:

- 1 lb. frozen chicken breasts
- 1 juiced lime
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
-1/4 C. water

Cook on high for 5 hours.  Shred with fork. This can be made a head of time too. (This is the best/easiest/tastiest way to do shredded chicken.) If you don't like all the seasoning, just put it in your crock pot with some garlic salt and pepper. It is so juicy. Yum!



Once your chicken is cooked and shredded, make the mixture to go inside of the taquitos.

Taquito Mixture:

- Shredded Chicken
- 6 oz. cream cheese; softened
- 1/4 C. green salsa
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Cup shredded pepper jack cheese ( you could probably substitute any type of shredded cheese)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro





Mix together into a creamy mixture. Once you have your mixture made, you will need to prepare your corn tortillas. They will need to be soft enough to roll without cracking. The only way this has been successful for me is to lightly fry them up. Heat some vegetable oil on med. to med-high heat. Place tortilla in oil for about 5 seconds per side. They will be hot to work with. Scoop about 1 Tbsp. of chicken mixture into the tortilla, roll and place onto a baking sheet, seam side down. Sprinkle with garlic salt (or kosher salt). Bake at 400 F, for 15 minutes or until they become browned around the edges and crisp.

We eat these with homemade guacamole, Cholula, sour cream, or salsa. Serve with a side of homemade Mexican rice (recipe to come soon), and black beans.

8 comments:

Rae said...

Yum, I love taquitos!

Alfie's mum said...

yum!! I need freezer meals like this all the time lately. I have not been in the mood to cook at all!

Alfie's mum said...

yum!! I need freezer meals like this all the time lately. I have not been in the mood to cook at all!

Elise said...

We too eat Mexican most nights. When I plan our meals its like - enchiladas, tacos, tortilla soup - oh wait, I have to mix in some variety!

Anyway - these look so good, similar to the enchiladas I make, but I use sour cream inside instead of cream cheese. I am going to have to try them for sure.

Steph said...

That looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing! Keep the recipes coming, you put out some awesome ones!

Care said...

Oh GOLLY! These look good. I'll give to my hub to make. (yep, I'm spoiled...)

Margot said...

I found your taquito recipe via the Whip Up Something New Challenge. (Sure am glad you entered.) I'm copying this recipe as it looks not only good but easy. I love taquitos as restaurants and the kind in my grocery store freezer, but have yet to try them at home. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Trish said...

yum yum yum!!! And you know we love our Mexican food down here (I'll spare you my usual comment about please move to Texas).

Question--you put the frozen chicken in the crock pot? Seriously? I'm thinking I need to get a good crockpot recipe book for when I'm on maternity leave. Not sure how else I'll get a home cooked meal (except for begging mom). Do you have one you like?