Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Recipe: Sugar Cookies

Please excuse the Sponge Bob Square Pants plate.



Last Christmas, I tried about a bajillion sugar cookies to get the recipe just right. Some were too soft, too crunchy, too bleh, too much whatever.  Last week Houston says "Why don't you just try my Grandma's recipe?"  hmmmm.....  now you tell me.

These cookies have that something that is different, unique and delicious. You really can't have just one.

Grandma's Sugar Cookies

  • 1/2 cup butter (one stick) softened to room temp.
  • 1 Cup sugar
  • 2 eggs; beaten
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 Tbsp. milk
  • 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream butter, and add sugar gradually. Cream until well blended. Add the beaten eggs, flavoring (vanilla and nutmeg), and milk. Sift dry ingredients and add to the wet. Mix well. The dough will be sticky. Wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake until just barely browned on the bottom. For me, it was about 5-6 minutes.  After cooled completely, frost with any frosting you desire. I used a basic cream cheese frosting that is my favorite.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

8 oz. cream cheese softened to room temp.
2 1/2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2-1 cup powdered sugar; depending on how soft you like your frosting. I used closer to one cup for mine. 

8 comments:

Elise said...

I love (LOVE!) sugar cookies & too have searched for a good recipe for way too long. Rebecca made us some that were SO good & when I asked for the recipe, she said it was your Grandma Marks. Have you made it? I am going to try yours, too. All in the name of research, right?!

Also! I saw your comment that you are going to Mexico! Jealous. Where?

Trish said...

Nutmeg!? Awesome.

I use the sugar cookie recipe that comes in the butter flavored shortening sticks package. I like it OK but I've never been thrilled with it. Brooke uses the Lion House recipe and I don't love it either. I JUST left her a comment saying I NEED sugar cookies, so I'm going to take this as a serendipitous moment and try out this recipe.

Yummmmmmmm.

Brooke said...

Just read Trish's comment, and when I saw that your post was about Sugar Cookies I fell over. We are making sugar cookies this weekend, so I am printing now and I am going to try this one! Thanks!

Michelle said...

*Elise- I am not sure if the recipe my mom uses is Grandma Marks or not. This recipe is so good though, you will have to let me know how they turn out. We are going to Puerto Vallarta this June. Can't wait!

*Trish-I hope you like them! You will have to let me know how they turn out for you. It is amazing how many different variations of sugar cookies there are.

*Brooke-Please let me know if you enjoy! Wish we could all enjoy together!

Alfie's mum said...

yummmmm... I think the sponge bob plate makes them that much more appetizing.

The Marks said...

ooh I love sugar cookies I have to try this recipe. THanks

JoAnn said...

I've never seen nutmeg in a sugar cookie, but it sounds delicious! We still like to use the sugar cookie recipe from the children's book Mr. Cookie Baker - that was a favorite when my girls were little.

joanna said...

Hi Michelle, I emailed you about hosting Whip up Something New in April but can't remember if I got an answer and I can't find it... can you let me know if you can do it? Thanks!