Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pozole


This recipe is from the Williams-Sonoma Cookbook.  This cookbook is the best.  Every recipe I have tried is a winner, and that is saying a lot!

Now, I don't know about you, but I love me some pozole. I had looked at this recipe every time I opened the book up to make something, but was always too intimidated to try it.  I am not sure why.  Maybe because I love pozole that much and didn't want to be disappointed.  However, this recipe does not disappoint.  It is Delicious.  With a capital D.  Why did I wait so long to make you?!

So, without further ado; the recipe...

Pozole


  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 lb. pork tenderloin; diced into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 3 Cups chicken stock (or chicken prepared chicken broth)
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced fire roasted tomatoes, with juice
  • 1 can (15 oz. ) white hominy, rinsed and drained
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Lime wedges; for garnish
  • Avocado slices; for garnish



In a soup pot over Med. heat, heat the oil.  Add the pork and saute until opaque on all sides but not browned, about 3 minutes.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a bowl and set aside.

Add the onion to the pot and saute until softened, 3-5 minutes.  Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring to blend the spices evenly, for about 1 minute longer.  Add the stock, tomatoes, hominy, jalapeno and sauteed pork with any juices, and season to taste with s&p.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the pork is cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Serve with lime wedges, avocado slices, and warm tortillas.  I like corn tortillas the best, but flour are good too.  Dee.vine.

Also, don't forget to link up if you are participating in the Whip up Something New Challenge!

8 comments:

Trish said...

What the HECK is pozole? I've honestly never heard of it. But this sounds a lot like a tortilla soup I attempted to make but much easier. Will have to try it!

I love Williams-Sonoma store but it does intimidate me. Haven't checked out any of their cookbooks.

leeswammes said...

I HAVE heard of pozole, but couldn't have told you what it looked like. :-)

My question is: what is hominy? That's something I haven't heard of!

It looks like a hearty pan of food, ideal for a winter's evening.

Elise said...

mmmmm. I love pozole, too. When I was teaching, the school that I worked at was 85% Mexican, so sometimes students would bring us homemade tamales & pozole. SO good! For some reason I never thought I could make it & have it taste good, either. But now I will try!

Brooke said...

I have never heard of it, and I bet that I am not even saying it correct in my head. It looks amazing. I am not a huge risk taking cooker, but maybe one day I will try to be!

Michelle said...

Trish- Pozole is a mexican dish. It really is super easy to make. One of the easiest soups out there. I think I got the cook book at TJ Maxx or something. Worth looking at!

leeswammes- Hominy is corn, with the hull and germ removed. Grits is ground up hominy I believe? Not positive on that. You can find it at any grocery store. Its delicious. Try it!


Elise- I am so glad to know you know this soup! Try the recipe. It is so easy and so delicious! YOu can make a big batch and freeze it. Let me know if you try it and what you think of it!

Brooke- it is pronounce peh-soul-ay. It is worth trying. It is not too funky. I love the texture of the hominy. That is what makes the soup great!

joanna said...

Wow, this sounds great! And comforting! I've never heard of pozole or hominy but I love Mexican food! Can I use regular corn instead?

JoAnn said...

I've never heard of pozole, but this is one recipe I'll have to try!

Kristi said...

This sounds really good. I'm a sucker for any type of Mexican food. I may have to try it but with corn instead of hominy. I don't think I'll find hominy here in Scotland. Thanks for sharing.